Welcome Back to the Labyrinth

"We have been away far too long, my friends," Ashoka declared, his face lit by the eldritch green glow of his staff. "But we have finally returned to the labyrinth whence our adventures first began."

"Just imagine the treasures that lie within," said Yun Tai, flexing his mighty muscles. "Wealth enough to live in luxury the rest of our days."

"And arcane artifacts of great power," added Ashoka his words dripping with avarice. "All ours for the taking!"

"Umm...guys?" Nysa interrupted. "Do you hear something dripping?"

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Prince Althran

I've been slacking off quite a bit on my posting this week, but this time I have a good excuse.  I've been busy painting the Warhammer Fantasy High Elf lord, Prince Althran, which was just released last weekend, for a painting competition this Saturday.


I've used this miniature to practice my non-metallic metal (NMM) technique, which, as the name implies attempts to create the illusion of metal without using any metalic paint the same way that artists do in paintings.  What's tricky about this is it requires fairly seamless blending of paint shades, which is quite difficult and I am still trying to get right.  The other trick is that you have to decide where the light is reflecting off the metal from an imaginary light source and paint the reflections on.  I have an especially difficult time doing this with curved surfaces and ever since I first attempted the NMM technique, it has changed the way I look at things.  I now find myself consciously assessing at how light reflects off everything I see.  It definitely makes you look at the world in a different way.

Anyway, I still have a long way to go towards mastering this technique, but I'm pretty happy with how Prince Althran turned out; he's my best NMM effort to date.  Hopefully he'll do well in the competition this weekend.

Now that this is off my plate, I hope to be back to posting on a more regular basis.

4 comments:

James said...

He looks good! Good luck with the competition.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Now i'm just depressed. Your painting is first-rate, and makes my meager skills appear that much more amatuerish.

Gorgeous paint job. Best o luck!

Sean Robson said...

Thanks, guys! I'll post the results tomorrow.

migellito said...

Very nicely done Sean! You should consider posting these pics on cool mini or not.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/